If perhaps you’re thinking of switching occupations, and are searching for an excellent and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded fiscally, maybe you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Platte City, MO. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a pretty swift certification program, it is possible to change professions quickly.
What should you look for when evaluating Dental Assistant Schools near Platte City, MO?
Focus on Science and Theory
Make sure that you try to find a program which offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to have knowledge of everything from how to create an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are typically skills that you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to grasp the essentials of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Having said that, understand that not all employers require you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant program in Platte City, MO should provide you with an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or laboratory training. This offers a few benefits: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, rather than just something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical knowledge in your chosen career. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but it is a totally different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Finally, having real world experience makes you much more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is what you want to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Platte City, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Virtually no job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed your training with high grades. As many as 75 per cent of men and women in the US suffer from some degree of dental fear or phobia. To work in this industry, you should have the ability to know how to handle individuals who are terrified of tooth and gum procedures, or maybe even of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is with hands-on instruction in the classroom, and feeling confident enough with the knowledge to calm worried patients.
As with virtually any industry, you are a part of an office team. It is very important to learn how to interact with patients, along with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program which enables you to work in a team situation can help you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very wide ranging field, and the variety of tasks varies significantly from one location to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a rural area can be quite different from being a part of a large, corporate dentist clinic in a major city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. If you happen to be focused on a specific career path, make certain that the school you select offers it, or is able to help you secure a position in your planned concentration after you complete your training.
Although it is unnecessary in numerous States to pass the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it just might give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam enables one to carry out more advanced tasks. This obviously makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some useful information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Insert your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Platte City, MO shown and you will be on the path to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013