If perhaps you’re thinking of changing careers, and are trying to find a challenging and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Pleasant Hill, MO. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a typically swift certification program, it is possible to change occupations quickly.
What should you consider when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Pleasant Hill, MO?
Concentration on Science and Theory
Make sure to try to find a program which provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will want to have knowledge of everything from how to create a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not learn on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to understand the essentials of the job, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Nonetheless, remember not all employers will require that you attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant program in Pleasant Hill, MO must offer you a chance to experience what the work is actually like, by way of internships, externships or laboratory training. This presents a few benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, as opposed to something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical experience in your chosen profession. It is one thing to know the science of developing x-rays, yet a totally different thing to actually help x-ray a real person! Finally, having real world experience enables you to be considerably more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it really is what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Pleasant Hill, MO
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
No occupation is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to know all about the modern dental procedures and to have completed school with perfect grades. Up to 75 per cent of all adults in the US encounter some level of dental fear or phobia. To work in this field, you need the ability to be able to handle patients who are frightened of tooth and gum treatments, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to master these skills is via hands-on training in the classroom, and feeling comfortable enough with the practical experience to calm nervous patients.
As in virtually any career, you are part of an office team. You will need to learn how to work with patients, and with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office staff. A training program that helps you to learn in a team setting will help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very extensive field, and the nature of the tasks ranges considerably from one office to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a rural area is very different from being part of a large, corporate dental office in a major city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. If you are thinking about a specific career path, make sure that the school you select offers it, or is prepared to enable you to secure a position in your desired concentration once you graduate.
Although it is not required in many States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question test administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam enables one to perform more advanced jobs. This certainly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations vary from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve learned some useful information and are prepared to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Pleasant Hill, MO displayed and you will be on the path to a prosperous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013