Maybe you’re thinking of changing professions, and are looking for an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded fiscally, you probably should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Portage, PA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a typically quick certification program, you will be able to change occupations fairly quickly.
What should you consider when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Portage, PA?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to look for a program which offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to understand the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Nevertheless, remember not all employers will require you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assisting program in Portage, PA must provide a chance to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or practical training. This presents a number of advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, rather than just something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical education in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray an actual person! Thirdly, possessing real world experience enables you to be considerably more valuable to employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it really is what you want to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Portage, PA
- Dental Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assisting (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
We Are Focused On Your Success!
At Berks Technical Institute (BTI), your success is our priority. We are dedicated to helping you gain the knowledge, skills, and confidence to succeed in a career you love. Our training programs are career-focused and taught by industry-experienced instructors in learning labs that can empower each of our students as they enter the job market.
- Dental Assisting - Associate in Specialized Technology
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
The Jolie Academies can give you the skills, professional instruction, and hands-on training and you'll need to launch your career the rewarding cosmetology field.
- Medical Assistant
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting (Hybrid)
No job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to know all about the modern dental procedures and to have completed your training with perfect grades. Nearly 75 percent of adults in the US encounter some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you must have the ability to be able to handle patients who might be frightened of tooth and periodontal treatments, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is via hands-on teaching in the classroom, and being comfortable enough with the experience to calm worried patients.
As in almost any profession, you are part of an office team. You need to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office staff. A training program that helps you to work in a team setting will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very diversified field, and the type of tasks ranges tremendously from one office to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town is very different from being an employee of a large, corporate dentist office in a major city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you are focused on a specific career path, be sure that the school you choose offers it, or is going to help you obtain a position in your preferred concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is not required in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam qualifies one to perform more complex tasks. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Portage, PA shown and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013