Maybe you’re thinking of changing professions, and are looking for an exciting and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded fiscally, you probably should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Portage, PA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant positions over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced professionals. With a typically quick certification program, you will be able to change occupations fairly quickly.
What should you consider when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Portage, PA?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to look for a program which offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you need to have knowledge of everything from how to mix a proper cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are generally skills you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited program with a dental assistant certificate program. This will allow you to understand the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to be taught on-site job skills. Nevertheless, remember not all employers will require you to attend an accredited school.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A top dental assisting program in Portage, PA must provide a chance to experience what the work is really like, via internships, externships or practical training. This presents a number of advantages: First, you’ll ensure that dental assisting is something you truly desire to do, rather than just something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll obtain some practical education in your chosen vocation. It can be one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray an actual person! Thirdly, possessing real world experience enables you to be considerably more valuable to employers. They will know that you can handle the work, and that it really is what you want to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Portage, PA
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Specialized Business
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
No job is purely technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to know all about the modern dental procedures and to have completed your training with perfect grades. Nearly 75 percent of adults in the US encounter some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this industry, you must have the ability to be able to handle patients who might be frightened of tooth and periodontal treatments, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The best method to learn these skills is via hands-on teaching in the classroom, and being comfortable enough with the experience to calm worried patients.
As in almost any profession, you are part of an office team. You need to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office staff. A training program that helps you to work in a team setting will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very diversified field, and the type of tasks ranges tremendously from one office to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a small town is very different from being an employee of a large, corporate dentist office in a major city. In addition there are several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you are focused on a specific career path, be sure that the school you choose offers it, or is going to help you obtain a position in your preferred concentration after you graduate.
Even though it is not required in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might provide you with an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question assessment given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam qualifies one to perform more complex tasks. This undoubtedly makes you more valuable to a would-be employer. Regulations will vary from State to State so we have created a page that details the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve obtained some helpful information and are prepared to dive into a new career as a Dental Assistant. Type your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Portage, PA shown and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013