If you’re considering changing occupations, and are in search of a fantastic and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded fiscally, perhaps you should look into Dental Assistant Schools in Round Lake Park, IL. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 31-percent rise in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant pay rates upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a comparatively quick certification program, you can change occupations fairly quickly.
What should you lookout for when selecting Dental Assistant Schools near Round Lake Park, IL?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to try to find a program which provides a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, it is very important to have knowledge of everything from how to mix a suitable cast for teeth or mix up amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you ought to not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited college with a dental assistant certification program. This should allow you to have an understanding of the basics of the occupation, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nonetheless, keep in mind that not all employers that you attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Training
A good dental assistant school in Round Lake Park, IL will offer you an opportunity to experience what the work is really like, through internships, externships or laboratory training. This offers a few benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you really want to do, rather than just something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical experience in your chosen profession. It is one thing to be familiar with the science of developing x-rays, yet a completely different thing to actually x-ray an actual patient! Finally, possessing real world experience enables you to be substantially more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is really what you wish to do. The more working experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to find work.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Round Lake Park, IL
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Medical Assistant
Virtually no job is strictly technical, and dental assisting is not an exception. It’s not enough to learn about the current dental procedures and to have completed your training with top grades. As many as 75 per cent of all adults in the US experience some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this field, you must have the skills to understand how to handle people who may be scared of tooth and gum procedures, or perhaps of the dentist’s office itself. The best way to master these skills is with hands-on teaching in the classroom, and getting confident enough with the practical experience to calm worried patients.
As with nearly every job, you will be a part of a team. It is essential to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , technicians, and other office personnel. A training program that enables you to work in a team setting can help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a very extensive field, and the type of tasks varies tremendously from one office to another. Being employed in a small , family-run office in a rural area can be quite different from being a part of a big, corporate dental clinic in a big city. In addition there are many different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison jobs. In case you are thinking about a specific career path, make sure that the school you choose offers it, or is prepared to assist you to secure a job in your planned concentration once you complete your training.
Even though it is not required in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it might give you an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a few States, passing this exam qualifies one to carry out more advanced tasks. This naturally makes you more valuable to a potential employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some valuable information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant programs near Round Lake Park, IL shown and you will be on your way to a great future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013