If you’re thinking of changing occupations, and are in search of an excellent and fast-growing job with possibilities to be well-rewarded financially, perhaps you need to think about Dental Assistant Schools in Shorewood, WI. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the 10 year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary rates upwards of $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a somewhat quick certification program, you can change careers very quickly.
What should you look for when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Shorewood, WI?
Focus on Science and Theory
You will want to look for a program which offers a strong foundation of dental science. As an assistant, it is very important to know everything from how to make an appropriate cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills you should not figure out on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certificate program. This should allow you to grasp the essentials of the industry, while preparing you to learn on-site job skills. Nevertheless, bear in mind that not all employers require that you attend an accredited program.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assistant program in Shorewood, WI will offer you the opportunity to experience what the work is really like, by way of internships, externships or clinical training. This offers many advantages: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, instead of just something you want to learn about. Secondly, you’ll gather some practical education in your chosen profession. It is one thing to understand the science of developing x-rays, however it is a completely different thing to actually x-ray a real person! Finally, possessing real-world experience enables you to be considerably more valuable to potential employers. They will know that you are able to handle the work, and that it is what you wish to do. The more practical experience you have as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to get employment.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Shorewood, WI
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Hardly any job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to learn all about the current dental procedures and to have completed your training with good grades. As many as 75 percent of adults in the US are affected by some degree of dental fear or phobia. To work in this industry, you will need the ability to know how to manage individuals who may be terrified of tooth and gum procedures, as well as of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to learn these skills is through hands-on instruction in the classroom, and being secure enough with the experience to soothe fearful patients.
As in virtually any occupation, you will be a part of an office team. You need to learn how to communicate with patients, as well as dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office personnel. A training program that enables you to learn in a team situation can help you immensely in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a wonderfully wide ranging field, and the type of work varies tremendously from one location to another. Being part of a small , family-run office in a remote area is very different from being a dental assistant at a big, corporate dentist office in a major city. There are also several different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. Should you be focused on a specific career path, make sure that the you select offers it, or is going to assist you to obtain a position in your planned concentration once you graduate.
Even though it is not necessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it could give you an edge on the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam given by the Dental Assisting National Board. In some States, passing this exam enables one to perform more complex work. This obviously makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that lists the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some handy information and are prepared to embark on a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search field below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Shorewood, WI displayed and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013