If you’re contemplating switching careers, and are searching for an exciting and fast-growing job with opportunities to be well-rewarded monetarily, maybe you should consider Dental Assistant Schools in Yelm, WA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 31-percent increase in Dental Assistant jobs over the ten year period 2010-2020, with Dental Assistant salary levels over $16/hour on average and over $20/hour for experienced individuals. With a relatively quick certification program, you can change careers quickly.
What should you consider when researching Dental Assistant Schools near Yelm, WA?
Focus on Science and Theory
Be sure to search for a program that offers a solid foundation of dental science. As an assistant, you will need to know everything from how to make a proper cast for teeth or mix amalgam filling for cavities, to taking and developing x-rays. These are skills that you should not be taught on the job! You should look for an accredited institution with a dental assistant certification program. This will allow you to understand the fundamentals of the industry, while preparing you to understand on-site job skills. Nonetheless, keep in mind that not all employers will require you to attend an accredited institution.
Real-World Dental Assistant Experience
A good dental assistant school in Yelm, WA will offer a chance to experience what the work is really like, through internships, externships or practical training. This offers many benefits: First, you’ll be able to make sure that dental assisting is something you truly want to do, and not just something you intend to understand more about. Secondly, you’ll get some practical knowledge in your chosen profession. It is one thing to learn about the science of developing x-rays, but it is an entirely different thing to actually help x-ray a real person! Thirdly, having real life experience makes you far more valuable to possible employers. They will know that you can handle the tasks, and that it is truly what you wish to do. The more working experience you possess as a Dental Assistant, the more likely you are to obtain a job.
Recommended Dental Assistant Schools in Yelm, WA
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
Hardly any job is purely technical, and dental assisting is no exception. It’s not enough to understand all about the most recent dental procedures and to have completed school with perfect grades. Up to 75 per cent of adults in the US experience some level of dental fear or phobia. To be successful in this profession, you need the ability to be able to manage individuals who might be afraid of tooth and gum treatments, or maybe of the dentist’s office itself. The most effective way to master these skills is through hands-on instruction in the classroom, and being comfortable enough with the experience to relax frightened patients.
As in just about any career, you are part of a team. You need to learn how to interact with patients, as well as with dentists, hygienists , techs, and other office staff. A training program which enables you to work in a team setting will benefit you tremendously in your professional career.
Specialization in Dental Assisting
Dental Assistance is a really wide ranging field, and the nature of the work will vary considerably from one location to another. Working in a small , family-run office in a remote area is very different from being part of a large, corporate dental office in a major city. In addition there are a number of different specializations in the field, from pediatric oral care to prison clinics. If you happen to be thinking about a specific career path, make certain that the you ultimately choose offers it, or is going to help you obtain a job in your desired concentration after you complete your training.
Although it is not necessary in most States to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam, it may provide you with an advantage over the competition. The CDA is a 300-question exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. In a number of States, passing this exam qualifies you to carry out more complex tasks. This naturally makes you more valuable to a prospective employer. Regulations differ from State to State so we have created a page that provides the State by State Dental Assistant requirements.
Hopefully you’ve found some handy information and are prepared to pursue a new career as a Dental Assistant. Enter your zip code in the search box below and request some information from one or more of the Dental Assistant schools near Yelm, WA displayed and you will be on the path to a tremendous future!
Latest posts by Warner Braverton (see all)
- Dental Assistant Schools in Houston MO – Find Dental Hygienist Programs - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Unionville MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013
- Dental Assistant Schools in Elsberry MO – Find Dental Hygienist Schools - October 22, 2013